Tuesday, February 3, 2015

the kids

It feels odd to sign into blogger. I'm glad I'm here. It's time to pick up documenting for our little Young family again. For now, I'll continue to pretend that the last 7 months didn't happen on here and jump right in about the kids NOW.

A friend does these little interviews of her kids, and I think it's such a fun way to remember some of the little things in different phases of their lives, so I'm doing it, too.

Thomas' Favorites (3 1/2 years old):

Book: Food Trucks (happens to be the last book we read from the library today. I don't know that it's really his favorite. Our personal library has grown a lot this year and Thomas is picking something different to read most nights...and days).
Movie: Dusty and Lightening McQueen (Planes and Cars)
Show: Curious George
Food: Carrots and salad
Snack: Am-ee-al (animal) crackers and bunny crackers
Toy: Fishing pole and Dusty the airplane and maybe my fire truck “wee ooo wee ooo!”
Game: Numbers and dots and clips (a counting game from his "preschool games" box)
Friend: Scarlett, Ryan, Trinity, Adalaide, Hunter, Preston, and oh yeah! Lily! (The friends he sees weekly at preschool or nursery). Thomas is actually drawn to older kids first though and seeks out his friends'siblings and other older kids in primary.
Song: Ring Around the Rosies and the Bear Hunt

T is kind of witty. He often has something funny to say, a rhyme to throw in, and is generally pretty animated and enthusiastic about life. He's been way into pretend play, reading, can entertain himself just playing, building, and creating, and wants Evy involved in almost all of it. Their relationship is my favorite thing lately. "Evy, come upstairs with me. I don't want to be lonely!" Evy is usually quick to do anything he asks, "Okay!!" He's been hinting at his disappointment at not being able to read the words in his books himself, so we work on 3 letter words sometimes and I'm considering actually trying to teach him one of these days. 


 A fun date with Mom to Chick Fil A.

I walked into the kitchen to find both kids on separate counters. It seems their wildest adventures happen when I change the laundry!
Super Why and Wonder Red. They've been getting into dress-up.
Following the first and traumatic dentist appointment. Two kids sobbing together. T finally pulled it together and claims he likes the dentist. The only thing Evy likes is her unicorn/duck prize for screaming through it all.

I shared this game with them. After a week of LOTS of Candy Land, I then hid it from them. 

Evy often tries to wear T's clothes, including his hats!

Silly snuggles with snoozing sister

While I got ready for the day, they brought in pillows, blanket, and bagels, and created a real cozy breakfast in bed.



Evelyn's Favorites (23 months old):

Book: Baby Bear...again and again and again. Thankfully, this book is truly lost at the moment.
Movie: Frozen?
Show: Sid the Science Kid, Super Why
Food: Ham!
Snack: Fishies
Toy: Doggie!
Game: Coloring
Friends: Hunter!!!, Ryan, Scarlett, Annie, Ethan, Lily (mostly T's friends)
Song: Little Lamb! and any songs with actions

Evelyn's vocabulary started to really grow in December! Now we're into some full on sentences and she's great to sing along to her favorite songs. I didn't know she was learning the alphabet...not directly from me, but she can sing most of it and shocked me by correctly identifying some of the letters randomly. She picked out a Toy Story book the other day and said "T-O-Y-S". I love her big smile. She recently started giggling while getting away with things...which I appreciate more than the previous sneaky silence. She sneaks snacks all the time, my chap stick, TV shows, songs, toys, medicine, and a whole lot of crafty things she should NOT be touching on her own from the top shelves of the kitchen, and things she can dump out in bulk. She gets things done. Quick to try to dress herself, brush teeth, or just get anything she "needs". While it can be scary, I appreciate her independence. 
Evy feeding doggy and baby. At the piano, after-church-post-nap-pigtails. She just looked so tall and grown up that I had to snap a picture.

Babe #3:

We've made no electronic announcement, but have told family and friends as we see them that we are expecting again. It becomes more real and exciting as the little bump grows and the morning sickness continues to improve! I'm grateful that while I've had some sickness, it has not been nearly as difficult as any of our past pregnancies. I anticipate and soak in hearing that sweet heart beat each month at our check-ups. It's week 17. We'll find out the gender in 3 weeks. Thomas desperately wants a brother. 
Throw back to week 14

2 comments:

Brittany Pickett said...

Your kiddos are smart! So fun to see pictures and see you blogging. Ha, yeah I gave up blogging awhile ago but I love reading them.:) You look great!

Kinzie and Kevin said...

I love this! Your kids are getting too big! We miss you guys. I can't believe Evy knows all those letters. Calum still only really knows the letter C. Haha. I'm bad. Can't wait to know if new baby is a boy or girl!

Blog Archive